2013 GMO Media Fact Sheet
1. 91% of Americans polled want GMOs labeled, a right already enjoyed by 40% of the world’s population in 49 countries.
2. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not require independent safety studies of genetically engineered foods.
3. No long-term safety studies exist on either the safety or benefits of GMO ingredients.
4. The AmericanAcademy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) urges all doctors to prescribe no-GMO diets for their patients.
5. Many physicians now prescribe non-GMO diets, and people are getting better from a variety of disorders. Livestock taken off GMOs are also getting better. These same disorders, (e.g. reproductive, immune, and GI tract) are the ones that the AAEM identified as common among lab animals fed GMOs, and their incidence has soared in the US population since GMOs were introduced.
6. What is a GMO? Bacteria and/or virus genes that are forced into the DNA of crops like soy and corn. 80% are engineered to withstand normally deadly doses of herbicides, primarily Monsanto’s Roundup.
7. GMO corn varieties are also engineered to produce their own toxic insecticide that breaks open the stomach on insects and kills them.
8. GMO plants either drink poison or produce poison. Roundup and insecticide, now found in the blood of pregnant women and their unborn children, have been found to be extremely dangerous.
9. The only human feeding study ever conducted showed transference of foreign DNA into human gut bacteria.
10. Multiple independent studies raise questions about links to allergies and other serious potential health risks including cancer.
11. In 2012 the AMA called for mandatory premarket safety studies of GMOs.
12. Consumers Union says labeling may be the only way to determine that the GE process was linked to adverse health effects.
13. Twenty years ago, Vice President Dan Quayle announced the FDA’s policy on genetically engineered food as part of his ‘regulatory relief initiative’ and held the American biotechnology industry would reap huge profits ‘as long as we resist the spread of unnecessary regulations.’
14. Dan Quayle’s 1992 policy announcement was premised on the notion, quickly refuted by the FDA’s own scientists, that genetically engineered crops are ‘substantially equivalent’ to regular crops and thus do not need to be labeled or safety tested.
15. The ‘substantially equivalent’ or GRAS policy was crafted by Michael Taylor, a former Monsanto lawyer who was hired by the Bush FDA to fill the newly created position of deputy commissioner of policy.
16. The Monsanto Corporation controls 90% of all genetically engineered seeds in the world.
17. Vice President George H.W. Bush visited a Monsanto lab for a photo op with the developers of Roundup Ready crops. He told them, “Call me. We’re in the dereg businesses. Maybe we can help.”
19. Millions of dollars were poured into the 2012 opposition campaign in California to defeat Proposition 37, which would have required the labeling of foods containing GMOs.
20. The final tally of votes as certified by California’s Secretary of State was … 6, 088,714 in favor of Proposition 37 and 6,442,371 against. A scant difference of 353, 657 votes.
21. GMO Labeling is endorsed by: American Public Health Association, American Medical Students Association, AmericanAcademy of Environmental Medicine, Physicians for Social Responsibility, California chapters, California Nurses Association and other leading health organizations.